Role Location: Los Angeles
Qualitative Moderator – Video Game Insights
Interpret is a global media, entertainment and technology insights agency. Our primary focus is centered on the video game industry but we also work with the biggest brands in entertainment and technology, movies and television, consumer electronics, social media, and advertising platforms. We’re looking for an experienced qualitative researcher and moderator with excellent analytical, collaboration, and consulting skills to join our growing team in Los Angeles. This role requires the ability to think critically, tell a story using data, provide top-notch client service and manage a team of analysts. The ideal candidate has 5+ years of experience moderating focus groups, in-depth interviews and has managed all phases of the qualitative research process from beginning to end. Flexibility working on multiple projects, a natural aptitude for organization, producing insightful deadline-driven deliverables within a fast-paced environment, and a personal passion for video games and technology are all equally important to the role. Previous client service and team management experience necessary. Client-side experience at a video game publisher, developer and/or technology firm a plus. Due to the nature of the work, this position may be travel intensive, requiring 30-60% time in the field.
Headquartered in Los Angeles, with offices in Seattle, Dallas, San Francisco, London, Tokyo, Shanghai and Seoul, you will be working on behalf of industry-leading clients to help them make smart, data-driven business decisions across the game and consumer electronic product lifecycle. You will be responsible for ensuring quality, client-ready deliverables, working with and overseeing a team of smart, passionate analysts.
- Serve as the lead client researcher/moderator with key client accounts, collaborate with other researchers and drive approach, analysis, and strategic recommendations.
- Manage all phases of the qualitative research process, including study design, questionnaire and discussion guide development, field/recruiting, and tab, data analysis and report generation
- Play the role of lead moderator/interviewer in the gathering of insights, primarily through focus group moderation, in-depth interviews. Experience with ethnography and online communication a plus, but not required.
- Manage multiple projects in various stages of development, demonstrating a clear ability to multi-task
- Analyze qualitative data, writing cogent data-backed “stories” and present results to clients in an engaging and persuasive way
- Play a leadership role on a cross-functional team; collaborate with the team to seamlessly integrate qualitative insights with quantitative findings.
- Provide staff training, mentorship and development, including being an internal advisor and resource for sophisticated qualitative methodologies.
- Work with external clients on a day-to-day basis to provide excellent service and ensure client satisfaction
- Maintain high levels of satisfaction among our current accounts and assist company principals in winning new ones.
Key Skills Needed
- Excellent, experienced, and passionate interviewer and ethnographer. Experience with more innovative methodologies and approaches strongly preferred.
- Previous project management experience; clear understanding of project set-up, recruiting, familiarity working with an expanded team i.e. agency, corporate, consultants, freelancers, remote offices.
- Analytical; possess an ability to understand and translate research results to help tell a relevant and compelling story
- Multi-task capable and time-sensitive; proficient in managing multiple research projects simultaneously under tight deadlines while effectively working in teams
- Experience in running hybrid studies, familiarity and understanding of quantitative analyses.
- Client service-minded; enjoy helping clients solve problems
- Communicative; excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
- Burke Institute
- certification or similar also preferred.
5+ years of experience in consumer insights or market research, with the proven ability to manage a team, manage clients and manage the survey and qualitative research lifecycle, from writing questionnaires/discussion guides to overseeing fieldwork to analyzing results to presenting findings to clients and senior management. Ideally, with similar experience in the video game industry.
Competitive salary + performance bonus, health/dental/vision, 401(k), unlimited vacation
Moderator, Team Manager, Project Manager, Client Service