Role Location: Los Angeles
Qualitative Moderator/Researcher – Video Game Insights
Interpret is a global media, entertainment and technology insights agency. We’re looking for an experienced qualitative researcher and moderator to join our growing team in Los Angeles. This role requires the ability to moderate focus groups, conduct in-depth interviews, write cogent reports, interface effectively with clients, and manage the overall qualitative research process. The ideal candidate has 5+ years of experience in moderating focus groups and is passionate about video games, social media, and consumer technology. The ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects and produce insightful, deadline-sensitive deliverables are crucial to this role. Previous client service and team management experience necessary. Client-side experience at a video game publisher, developer and/or technology firm a plus. Due to the nature of the work, this position is travel intensive, requiring 30-50% time in the field, including international travel where you function as a backroom analyst, report writer and client service consultant on non-English qualitative projects.
- Serve as the lead client qualitative researcher/moderator with key client accounts, collaborate with other researchers and drive approach, analysis, and strategic recommendations.
- Manage all phases of the qualitative research process, including study design, discussion guide development, field/recruiting oversight, and report generation.
- Play the role of lead moderator/interviewer in the gathering of insights, primarily through focus group moderation and in-depth interviews. Experience with ethnography and online groups a plus.
- Manage multiple projects in various stages of development, demonstrating a clear ability to multi-task.
- Analyze qualitative data, writing cogent data-backed “stories” and present results to clients engagingly and persuasively.
- Play a leadership role on a cross-functional team; collaborate with the team to seamlessly integrate qualitative insights with quantitative findings.
- Provide staff training, mentorship, and development, including being an internal advisor and resource for sophisticated qualitative methodologies.
- Work with external clients on a day-to-day basis to provide excellent service and ensure client satisfaction.
- Maintain high levels of satisfaction among our current accounts and assist company principals in winning new ones.
Key Skills Needed:
- Excellent, experienced, and passionate moderator and interviewer. Experience with more innovative methodologies and approaches preferred.
- Previous project management experience; a clear understanding of project set-up, recruiting, familiarity working with an expanded team i.e. agency, corporate, consultants, freelancers, remote offices.
- Analytical; possess an ability to understand and translate research results to help tell a relevant and compelling story.
- Multi-task capable and time-sensitive; proficient in managing multiple research projects simultaneously under tight deadlines while effectively working in a team.
- Experience in running hybrid studies, familiarity and understanding of quantitative analyses.
- Client service-minded; enjoy helping clients solve problems.
- Communicative; excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Burke Institute certification or similar also preferred.
5+ years of experience in qualitative consumer insights or market research, with the proven ability to manage clients and the qualitative research lifecycle, from writing discussion guides to overseeing fieldwork to moderating to analyzing results to presenting findings to clients and senior management. Ideally, experience in the video game or consumer technology industry. Personal passion for these categories a must.
Competitive salary + performance bonus, health/dental/vision, 401(k), unlimited vacation
Moderator, Project Manager, Client Service